This event is archived.
Real Life Scotland Yard
Hello and welcome to the online registration for this semester's Real Life Scotland Yard of the FSMPI! Even if the link ‘helfen.fs.tum’ might suggest something different, this is in fact not the registration for helpers but for the participation of the event itself.
On Sunday the 13th of October, you will be able to hunt Mr. X through Munich once again! Our Real Life Scotland Yard is a great opportunity for freshmen (and older semester as well) to get to know the city and its transportation network as well as the other students – all while having fun!
The players are divided into groups of 3-5 people. One team is the Mr. X-team. This team’s job is to drive through the city using public transportation and to regularly post their current position. The remaining teams are agents hunting them! They are allowed to communicate with each other – but Mr. X can read along…
We will have multiple games running at the same time. Every game has its own Mr. X and agents. For organizational reasons and so that nobody gets confused, the individual games have different colors.
Time and place
We meet on Sunday the 13th of October at 1:30 pm at the ‘Königsplatz’ in front of the ‘Staatliche Antikensammlung’ (here on Google Maps). Just follow the signs from the train station ‘Königsplatz’ (U2), we will be very hard to miss 😉. If the weather is good, we’re going to meet afterwards around 6 pm at the beer garden ‘Hirschgarten’ 😊
- All teams are only allowed to use public transportation (MVG) in DOWNTOWN MUNICH (Circle 1-4).
- Allowed means of transportation are the S-Bahn (interurban train), subway, tram and bus. NO regional trains!
- No team is allowed to change between stations by foot.
- A team must not stay at a station for longer than 15 minutes (only exception is if the timetable of the station leaves no other choice).
- One game lasts 4 hours (2-6 pm). If Mr. X is not caught until then, the team wins.
- If Mr. X is caught before 4 pm, the agents who caught them win and the game goes into a second round in which the winner team becomes the new Mr. X-team.
- Mr. X shows themselves by posting their current position (the last/current station and last used/currently used mean of transport) in the group chat. You all will be invited into this chat in time.
- Mr. X shows themselves:
- From 2-4 pm every 15 minutes.
- From 4-6 pm every 10 minutes.
- Mr. X always drives in the front of the vehicle (please not IN front, so much paperwork to do).
- Agents communicate in the group chat. Mr. X is allowed to read along!
- Team Mr. X is caught if another agent-team is in the same station or vehicle as them and sees them. Spotting Mr. X in a passing bus or a departing subway is NOT enough to catch them but it is definitely worth mentioning in the group chat 😉
And at last, the most important rule: Don’t stress over the details too much! If you end up staying at a bus station for 16 minutes or you do walk mistakenly between two stations per foot, then that’s okay as well for as long as everybody enjoys themselves 😉
Further pieces of advice
- Please pay attention to traffic and your surroundings!
- Agents can only win with teamwork. Communication is absolute key! Therefore, the teams should post their location and inform the other players about their strategies in the group chat regularly even though Mr. X might read it as well.
- An App with a journey planner and timetables is recommended – one should always pay attention to the times of departure in order to figure out where Mr. X might be heading to 😉 There are multiple options i.e. the ‘München Navigator’ (for Android and iOS) or the ‘MVV-App’ (for Android, iOS and Windows Phone)
- Don’t forget to charge your phone in advance and – if possible – to bring a power bank along!
- Four hours could be long, feel free to bring something to drink and eat.
- Dress adapted to the weather forecast. Meaning: warm clothes and maybe even a waterproof jacket. You’re also about to walk the whole day so wear comfortable shoes.
- As our platform of communication, we use WhatsApp. Even if you don’t use it, there most likely will be someone in your team using it.
Please only apply for one game. Which one you choose, is up to you since all games start at the same time and work the same way 😊